Our mission is to develop data-driven solutions to improve human performance and augment human capabilities (physical and mental) for future design, construction, and engineering process. We conduct research in areas that include visualization and simulation (Virtual Reality (VR)/Augmented Reality (AR)), sensing and data analytics (Artificial intelligence(AI)), and human factors engineering in the context of built environments (e.g., buildings, industrial facilities, and smart transportation systems, etc.).
- August. Dr. Shi joined the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Colorado School of Mines as an Assistant Professor.
- June. A Journal paper by Jun Liu, Ningze Xu, Yangming Shi, Mizanur Rahman, Timothy Barnett, and Steven Jones on “Do first responders trust connected and automated vehicles (CAVs)? A national survey.” was published in the Elsevier Journal of Transport Policy (IF=8.03).
- May. Congratulations to Ziming Liu and Tolu Sanni who received the University of Alabama Graduate School Travel Award.
- May. Our lab visited the roadside emergency response companies located at Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and Clanton in Alabama.
- May. Four conference papers from our lab were accepted and will be presented at the 2023 ASCE International Conference on Computing in Civil Engineering (I3CE).
- May. Dr. Shi was invited to be a Program Committee (PC) Member for Project Management and Construction track on the 2023 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2023).
- April. Congratulations to Cole Miller who has finished his MS degree and he will work for Clayco, Inc this June.
- April. Dr. Shi was invited to join General Motors (GM) electric vehicle emergency response workshop in Chicago
- March. Congratualtions to Ziming Liu who has passed his qualify exam.
- February. Dr. Shi was invited to be a track co-chair for Track 3: Computer Applications, Information Modeling and Simulation at ASCE Contruction Research Congress(CRC 2024).
- January. Congratulations to Tolu Sanni who received a scholarship from the National Academy of Construction (NAC). Roll Tide!
- December. A Journal paper by Jieyu Chen, Nan Li, Yangming Shi, and Eric Jing Du on “Cross-cultural assessment of the effect of spatial information on firefighters’ wayfinding performance: A virtual reality-based study” was accepted and published in the Elsevier International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction (IF=5.05).
- November. A Journal paper by Jun Liu, Ningze Xu, Yangming Shi, Timothy Barnett, and Steven Jones on “Are First Responders Prepared for Electric Vehicle Fires? A National Survey ” was accepted and published in the Elsevier Journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention (IF=6.376).
- November. Dr. Yangming Shi (PI) and his collaborators at UA – Dr. Jun Liu, Dr. Xinwu Qian, Dr. Krishna Shah, and Dr. Laura Myers organized a workshop to discuss existing challenges and potential solutions for future electrical vehicle emergency responses. The workshop is sponsored by NSF and Alabama Transportation Institute. More details of the workshop can be found on our website at: https://nsfevfire.work/
- October. Dr. Shi received the BEST PROPOSAL AWARD at the 2022 AECT/SICET International Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- October. Two conference papers by Jun Liu, Ningze Xu, Yangming Shi, Timothy Barnett, and Steven Jones on “Are First Responders Prepared for Electric Vehicle Fires? A National Survey ” were accepted and will be presented at the 2023 Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting.
- August. Dr. Yangming Shi (PI) and his collaborators at UA – Dr. Jun Liu, Dr. Xinwu Qian, Dr. Krishna Shah, and Dr. Laura Myers received a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to develop new methods to help responders to deal with future Electrical Vehicle-Related emergency responses. Many thanks to the students, mentors, and collaborators, especially thanks to the support from Alabama Transportation Institute (ATI).
- August. Ziming (Bruce) Liu joined Yangming Research Group as a Ph.D. student. Welcome, Bruce!
- August. Babatunde Owolabi joined Yangming Research Group as a Master’s student. Welcome, Tunde!
- August. Dr. Shi received a research grant from Alabama Transportation Institute.
- June. A journal paper by Gilbert (Yang) Ye, Yangming Shi, Divya Srinivasan, and Jing Du on “Sensation Transfer for Immersive Exoskeleton Motor Training: Implications of Haptics and Viewpoints” was accepted and published in the Elsevier Journal of Automation in Construction (IF=10.517).
- June. A journal paper by Gilbert (Yang) Ye, Yangming Shi, Pengxiang Xia, John Kang, Oshin Tyagi, Ranjana K Mehta, and Jing Du on “Cognitive Characteristics in Firefighter Wayfinding Tasks: An Eye-Tracking Analysis” was accepted and published in the Elsevier Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics (IF=7.862).
- May. Dr. Shi was selected as the track coordinator for project management and construction at the 2022 IEEE Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2022).
- May. A journal paper by Yangming Shi, Connor Johnson, Pengxiang Xia, John Kang, Oshin Tyagi, Ranjana K Mehta, and Jing Du on “Neural Basis Analysis of Firefighters’ Wayfinding Performance via Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS)” was published in the ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering (IF=5.802).
- April. A journal paper by Tianyu Zhou, Qi Zhu, Yangming Shi, and Jing Du on “Construction Robot Teleoperation Safeguard Based on Real-Time Human Hand Motion Prediction” was published in the ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (IF=5.292).
- March. Dr. Shi presented his research studies on desktop-based eye-tracking methods and haptic-driven exoskeleton learning at 2022 CRC conference, Arlington, Virginia.
- January. Matias Mega visited our research group as a visiting undergraduate student from Universidad Nacional del Nordeste (UNNE) in Argentina. Welcome aboard!
- October. Dr. Shi was selected as the best reviewer for 38th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC 2021).
- August. Dr. Shi joined the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at the University of Alabama as an Assistant Professor.
- April. Dr. Shi was selected as the track coordinator for project management and construction at the 2021 IEEE Winter Simulation Conference (WSC 2021).